Wednesday, April 30, 2008

 

Evil IT People

Librarians are natural enemies of the information technology employees. We ferret out information and the IT people do their damndest to hide it from us. Apparently this is not restricted to the library world but is true throughout most professional offices. For example, one of Dilbert's mortal enemies is Mordac, the evil-hearted director of Information Services for Dilbert's company.

Want a real life example? Last week day a new docking computer was installed in my office. BAM. No notice that my old computer would be removed. No discussion, nada. It was upgraded to a docking computer station, which means its a laptop that can turn into a desktop.

Did I get an email discussing how to dock or undock it? NO. Did I get a demo on how to properly dock and undock? NO. Was I was told to start taking my own laptop to the reference desk? NO. The only clue I had was that I walked up to the reference desk....and there was no computer there. So I asked the HR person who is in the office next to me what was going on. She said she had the same problem the previous day and explained to me how I needed to undock my computer and take it to the reference desk with me.

Why was the HR person doing the explaining?? Why hadn't the IT guy told me what was going on? Isn't that PART OF HIS JOB???

Fuming, I stomped into the IT dept. to confront the evil IT master. "Why didn't you send out an email discussing how to do this? Or maybe provide an in-person demonstration?" I asked.

"Sink or swim," he answered with an evil grin on his face. I gave him the glare of death and replied, "Oh I usually swim. And then I get out and beat the swim instructor to death for not doing their job." The smug expression faltered slightly at that. I am not sure what he thinks I will do to him, but IT people know that librarians do a lot of weird research....and who knows what revenge I may exact?

Having said my piece, I made my grand exit from his office. Unfortunately, I didn't know any more than when I went in. So I did what you will need to learn to do - the work-around.

Anytime you are stonewalled by IT, just ask the other employees at the library. SOMEONE will have figured out what is going on and will explain it.

Moral of the story: Know your enemy. Keep open communications with your IT dept. so that perhaps you will get training and info when you need it. But prepare to be disappointed, outraged, and frustrated by IT people and their policies.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?